Search strategy checklist
The checklist below covers important stages involved in sourcing literature. You might apply these pointers to your own search, or use them as a source of ideas to generate your own checklist.
- Define your topic
- Identify the key concepts
- Choose your keywords
- Prepare your search strategy
- Prepare a time schedule
Conducting the search
- Which sources of literature will you use and how will you access them?
- Combine your keywords using Boolean operators
- Use truncation and wildcards
- Keep records of search
Evaluate and refine your search
- Evaluate your results for relevance and coverage
- Refine your search strategy if necessary
- Refine your time schedule if necessary
- Conduct your altered search.
This checklist is also available to save or print out. You could also use it as a template to create your own customised checklist.